Interior dolls have been fueling interest among collectors and just connoisseurs of beautiful designer gizmos for many decades. Knitted, clay, textile and many other homemade dolls are made by needlewomen by individual orders. Unique sketches are drawn in accordance with the theme of the design of the room in which they will be located or based on the appearance of the future hostess. But despite the wide interest of the public, for many people, dolls still remain a mystery. Meanwhile, the details of these beauties are thought out by every master to the smallest detail: make-up, hairstyle, clothes - all this is drawn and sewed in a single copy according to the author's original idea.
Amigurumi: the story
Knitting technique "amigurumi" was born in ancient Japan. Then small dolls and souvenirs were created as charms. This tradition was not unique in itself. Various amulets in the form of humans or gods were made in most cultures of the world. But Amigurumi is one of the few technicians who could live to the present and win the hearts of millions of beginners and experienced craftsmen. Today, amigurumi toys are part of the Kawaii fashion. Fans of traditional Japanese anime cartoons see their favorite heroes in such pupae. Tiny cute toys with big crocheted eyes cause an overwhelming desire to cuddle, pity, kiss. Gradually, the amigurumi toys left Japan and began to conquer other countries: America, Britain, France. Now they are familiar with them in our country.
There are several key features that distinguish amigurumi toys:
- The size of the toy. Knitted little men and little animals do in height from 5 to 8 centimeters. Because of the size of the toy, it was traditionally crocheted, although today one can find amigurumi knitted with knittings and a much larger size than the Japanese did.
- But at the same time, proportionality is absolutely not observed and, as a result, the head of the finished product is much larger than the rest of the body. This is a classic method of drawing Japanese cartoons like "Pokemon", brought to life.
- Another important feature of heroes made in the technique of amigurumi is their kindness. Absolutely all men, animals, even home furnishings and crocheted food have a sweet, kind face with a wide smile. This is Eastern philosophy, embodied in toys.
- Knit toys with a single dense fiber in a circle. This is made possible by using a small hook for thick yarn. Finished stuffed with seal parts sewn together with simple threads.
- The cutest distinguishing feature of amigurumi is that each master-made toy comes up with a master who comes up with a name that remains with her even after selling the little thing.
Materials for making dolls
Having decided to manually recreate a Japanese doll, the needlewoman should be thoroughly purchased with materials without which the creation of this little masterpiece is impossible. And they are selected on the basis of the ideas of the author or a customer order. buying the same material in large quantities does not make sense. Skilled craftsmen prefer to increase stocks at the expense of their diversity, rather than quantity. Nevertheless, there is a basis which should be got:
- Acrylic yarn is the material most loved in the work of amigurumi-masters and it is also recommended to start your way with young needlewomen who are not familiar with the technique of knitted dolls. Acrylic is soft to the touch, obedient to work, and a wide range is presented even in the smallest shops at affordable prices. A great advantage of acrylic threads is their ability to keep their shape even after washing, so acrylic is ideal for children.
- Cotton yarn is preferred by craftswomen with some experience in creating amigurumi. In order for the toy to keep its shape, the binding must be done in a dense canvas. If done correctly, the thread will provide a rigid frame with a neat appearance.
- Wool yarn can make a toy bulky, give it some weight. However, amigurumi wool is suitable only as a collection item or decorative element. All because when washing or actively using wool will lose its shape. Inexperienced needlewomen will appreciate the wool for the opportunity to comb it in the finished toy and hide possible flaws.
- Yarn "grass" will help create the hair of a little man or shaggy animal fur. However, when using it, it makes sense to change the hook on the knitting needles, especially if the knitting experience is small.
- The hook is selected depending on the thickness of the thread, slightly smaller than it is taken for knitting large items. The thinner the hook, the higher the density of the canvas of the toy and the stability of its shape. In the finished toy should be completely absent holes left by the tool.
- Knitting needles will most likely be needed when using individual materials. For example, if the mating is carried out almost blind when using "weed". It is important that the thickness of the spokes does not exceed the size of 1.5-3, then the binding will be dense.
- Silicone and synthetic winterizer are most often filled with filler. They do not clog, poorly absorb moisture and pleasantly spring, which creates a good shape for the finished toy.
- Beads for the eyes. As mentioned earlier. A distinctive feature of amigurumi are large eyes. To make their masters use large, shiny beads of high quality. Save, buying cheap Chinese or Korean beads, in this case it makes no sense. They can spoil the overall impression of the finished doll. It is better to purchase a more expensive option that meets all aesthetic requirements.
- Simple needles with a wide eyelet, into which a thick thread of yarn can be inserted, will be needed in order to sew the parts together toys between themselves.
A variety of decorative accessories in the form of ribbons, buttons, beads, fabric, wire - all that can help in the design of the appearance of the doll.
Sewing tools, such as scissors, tweezers, knitting fork.
An important piece of advice, at the very beginning of your journey, try to knit anything from different types of yarn. This will give an opportunity to experience the material and understand which of them will be convenient in a particular toy and at a particular stage.
Knitting patterns and techniques
The basis of the amigurumi knitting technique is knitting in a circle, so all the details are round or oval. However, knitting patterns quite allow you to make a huge variety of toys. The essence of the “Amigurumi ring” technique is that 6 loops are pounced on the index finger, which are then crocheted, forming a dense round canvas. This method is used in the creation of the Amigurumi Japanese themselves. The needlewomen from other countries adapted the technique, reducing the number of revolutions of the thread around the finger, although the essence of the technique remained the same. Beginner master has the right to use any of the options, although it is proved that the Japanese equipment is more stable and dense.
As for crochet patterns, two are used in amigurumi: crocheted or crocheted. The first option is important because it is able to provide a tight connection of the threads, which means the finished toy keeps its shape. The second option is good because it reduces knitting time. Both techniques are widely used in crochet, and therefore it is not difficult to find their master classes on the Internet or special magazines. The column without nakida in the drawn schemes is designated in the form of the extended letter "T", with a nakida - the extended letter "T" standing on an oval. To create amigurumi the author is required to master both variants of knitting.
Initially, amigurumi involves the creation of toys, but in recent years some accessories have also been made in this technique: key rings, pendants, toys for the Christmas tree, and much more. This is very convenient due to the tiny size of amigurumi products and their high resistance when using the right materials. Actually, the accessories fit in exactly the same way as the toys, with the only difference being that extra hooks, fasteners and chains are sewn to them. Souvenirs made in the technique of amigurumi will be a great gift suitable for almost any age.
Polymer clay dolls
Another amazing technique that helps to create interior dolls with their own hands is the modeling of polymer clay. This wonderful material allows you to create small sculptures that look so natural that it seems as if small pupae are about to come to life. The best looks dolls made in the form of angels and kids, but the scope of the author’s imagination is not limited to anything. There are clay fairies, princesses, even dolls made from a photograph of their future owner. Polymer clay can be made as fixed figurines, and hinged dolls that can bend arms or legs.
An important piece of advice is before you start creating a polymer clay doll. Work with this material in a different, simpler direction to sense its flexibility and plasticity.
Materials and tools for work
To create an author's doll, you will need to assemble an impressive suitcase of materials and tools for work. Among them: a small bar of flesh-colored polymer clay, a set of dental stacks, wire, simple foil for baking, as well as materials for decorating the doll (fabric, paint, yarn). If you want to give the doll a nice shine, stock up with a glossy lacquer in the balloon. Skilled masters gradually fill up this standard set with professional tools. For example, pliers, engraver, polishing sponges of different stiffness. All of the above tools are traditionally considered to be masculine, and therefore the masters need time to master them and use them in high-quality doll creation.
The technological process of making dolls from polymer clay includes many steps:
- First, a sketch of the toy is created, which includes not only the shape of the body, but also the decorative elements of clothing.
- A frame is made of copper wire onto which clay will later be stuck. Instead of ready-made limbs and heads, blanks made of foil are formed.
- On the frame impose a uniform layer of clay, a face is formed.
- Then the doll is tinted with paints or crayons and burned.
- After firing, the body is wrapped with a bandage, which is fixed with glue or thread.
- The prepared body is sheathed with a cloth and put on clothes. It can be simply worn on top or sewn right on the doll.
- Paints paint the face, varnish.
- From a yarn or an artificial hair create a hairstyle of a doll.
In the process of working on a doll, the master can change the technology, make it more convenient for himself, but on the whole the process of creation looks like this. Polymer clay doll can be a wonderful New Year gift.
Designers love to decorate girls' delicate rooms with textile interior dolls. But to use them for active games is not recommended. Tissue dolls are quite fragile, an active child will probably stain or tear it in just a couple of days. However, if a mother can repair dolls and is not afraid to sew new ones often, then a fabric doll can become one of the favorite toys. There are many techniques that allow to sew a textile doll, but the most beloved were and still are the attic doll, the Big Rumpet, Tilda and the sheep doll. Whatever technique a craftswoman would prefer, she would need a standard set of materials and tools that most women have.
Materials and tools
In order to make rag dolls, needlewomen equip the whole working corner. The reason lies in the fact that the creators of these beautiful toys use the largest amount of materials, relative to lovers of other manufacturing techniques:
- Bleached calico is used as a base. It is quite dense and easy to handle.
- For clothing used sets of fabrics for patchwork. This makes it easier to select a base material and a companion fabric.
- Holofiber, sintepukh, silicone are suitable for stuffing - in a word, everything that is available and worthwhile is worth it.
- The body color of the open parts of the body is created using cinnamon, vanilla, coffee, mixed with water and glue. You can tint the doll with special powder or chalk, but on the fabric they will quickly lose their color.
- Everything is used as sewing tools, from needles to sewing machines.
- Sewing accessories for registration may include beads, ribbons, rhinestones, lace, stones, rubber bands.
In a word, when sewing textile dolls professionally, needlewomen need their own small sewing shop.
The technique of sewing attic dolls originates in America, which mothers sewed to their children from the remnants of fabrics, after tailoring. Their feature was sewn patriotic attributes: flags, national costumes, inscriptions on clothes. Today, loft dolls are such a special class of toys for which there are no strict patterns. For their sewing, each author himself comes up with a pattern, based solely on their own preferences. Flax and cotton are used as materials. The finished doll is always artificially aged, so that it looks as if it was lying in the attic of your house, among other things, junk for many years. To do this, the body of the doll is soaked with coffee-water-glue mixture and baked in the oven. Coffee aroma remains with a toy for a long time, what attracts fans of the whole world.
Mens or Snowballs are created in such a way that they can stand on their legs, not having a solid frame inside. To achieve this effect is obtained through two things: a special form of the foot and very dense stuffing. In order that the Big Motto did not fall, its authors use a standard pattern, therefore the uniqueness of the doll is limited to its external design, namely, hairstyle, clothing and accessories. The faces of the Big Brothers are similar: they all have small eyes and a small mouth, in some dolls there is no mouth at all.
Tilda came up with just a few years ago, the designer from Norway, Tony Finnanger. These pupae are distinguished by long legs and ruddy cheeks. Among the author's tilde you can meet women of all professions, bunnies, cats, even Santa Claus. They are sewn according to the sketches of their creator, and therefore, like Snowballs, they differ only in the exterior design. Any departure from the patented Finnanger doll ultimately leads to the fact that the toy ceases to be Tilda in the full sense of the word. You can find patterns in the books of the author or rummaging through the Internet.
In fact, lamb dolls are not a separate direction in the classification of textile dolls, but rather a fad. In recent years, cute sheep now and then appear on television. Lovely and kind animals simply could not become a prototype for hundreds of needlewomen of the world. That is why each of the directions creates its own fluffy dolls of sheep, based on individual patterns and absolutely different sizes. It is possible to find sheep in the patterns of the Tilda direction, in the hands of the Bolsherozhek, and some of the skilled workers altogether combine textiles and clay, creating original animals, whose muzzle is made using molding, and the wool is completely stitched. Therefore, you can find or create your own sheep the way you want.
Out of felt
The most genuine game dolls are sewn from felt, which not only decorate the interior, but also delight girls. Such dolls are created according to a pattern of medium and thick wool felt. The material is quite soft and plastic, so the fabric does not break in the process, leaving ugly strips. A feature of the felt doll is that it is sewn by hand, so the stitches should be small, neat and as much as possible the same. The work is done in parts, the individual parts are sewn together at the very end. As for the variety of felt dolls, it is absolutely unlimited. You can draw on your own or find a sketch of a pupa you like and make your own masterpiece. It is interesting that outer clothing, for example, a coat or a hat, can be sewn separately and dress up as a play.
From kapron tights
Such pupae create a particularly homely atmosphere of the interior. Moreover, the materials for the creation of a doll cost a minimum of money, but the result is so realistic that it does not leave anyone indifferent. A doll, made of kapron tights, is first stuffed with filler and only then forms the way the author intended it. This feature allows you to create not just the pattern, but in the process of cooking. В итоге уникальный подарок создается за пару часов и практически без затрат: старые колготки, немного синтепона, нитки и текстиль для одежки - вот и все что требуется от автора.
Из папье маше
Создание кукол из папье маше - это не просто увлечение. Это страсть, которая рождается еще в школе и не отпускает на протяжении всей жизни. В их основе бумага, клей и грунтовка. Если кукла создается исключительно в декоративных целях, то подойдут старые газеты. If it is assumed that they can fall into the hands of children, it is better to replace it with clean paper or toilet paper. In the newspaper there may be harmful lead. The essence of manufacturing: paper is soaked in water, and then kneaded to the state of porridge, after that, excess moisture is pressed, glue is added and a kind of "dough" is kneaded, from which the doll is created, after the model hardens, it is coated with a primer. Even a small child can do all this work, so mothers can safely take in children as helpers, both boys and girls.
In the huge handicraft world, to find such an interior doll that you like just enough for you. They are all nice and attractive, but have features that distinguish them from each other. To get involved in the creation of dolls means to condemn yourself to many interesting evenings, new acquaintances, creative meetings, nice gifts. Small or big, boys or girls, beasts, birds, angels - the imagination of the authors of the dolls is not limited to absolutely nothing, it is worth trying once.